Korma by N.C. Strugnell
16th November 2002 · Food and Drink
- 1 1/2 lb meat (chicken is best)
- 1/2 cup cashews or almonds
- 1″ fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3fl oz yoghurt
- 3fl oz double cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 2 whole cardamoms (in husk)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1″ cassia bark
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F, 190C, gas mark 5.
- Cut the meat into cubes.
- Liquidise the nuts, ginger and garlic with about 1/4 pint of water.
- Heat the oil and ghee together and fry the coriander, cumin, cardamom, cloves, cassia and the chopped onion for about 10 mins.
- Add the liquidised nuts, etc and the yoghurt and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Add the meat and cook in the oven for 45 mins, stirring halfway.
- Soak the saffron in the milk for 10 mins, squeezing with a spoon to get out the colour.
- Add the saffron, cream, fresh coriander and salt to taste just before serving.